[ocaml-platform] Changes to my previous proposal for namespaces

Alain Frisch alain.frisch at lexifi.com
Tue Mar 19 08:54:23 GMT 2013

Two more comments on Leo's proposal:

1. I think we should look for a different notation than Foo # Bar for
namespace qualification.  "#" is already used for the method calls; it
should be possible to implement this notation without creating conflicts
in the grammar, but it might create confusion.  Consider the expression:

   Foo#Bar.my_object # f Foo#Bar.e

(I've been kind enough to avoid putting whitespaces around '#' when used
for namespaces).

I haven't really thought about a good alternative, but what about using
".." instead of "#" ?

2. I think we should get rid of the aliasing feature in search path
files ("Foo#Baz : Foo#Bar").  I expect that only advanced users will
write search path files, and then can do the resolution themselves (or
this could be automated).  Aliases don't really simplify the life of
end-users and they add complexity to the resolution mechanism (which
might need to be re-implemented by build systems).

Alain