[ocaml-platform] An alternative proposal for namespaces

Alain Frisch alain.frisch at lexifi.com
Thu Mar 21 06:07:55 GMT 2013

On 3/20/2013 10:15 PM, Leo White wrote:
> As I have made clear, the build system shouldn't give ocamldep directories, it
> should generate a search path file to represent the eventual contents of
> those directories and give that file to ocamldep.

It seems we converge.   You claim that build system should be
responsible for generating search path files before calling ocamldep
(and thus the compilers).  So do you agree that ocamldep does not need
to support directories anymore?  (except for backward compatibility of
projects not using namespaces)  It seems that the "simple namespace"
convention can be implemented entirely in the build systems, outside the
core toolchain (compilers, ocamldep).  Fine, people can decide to use
this convention, or another one, or write their search path files
manually.  So let's keep this simple namespace convention outside the
proposal.  Do you agree?

Alain