[ocaml-platform] OPAM -- why does it remove packages?

Trevor Smith trevorsummerssmith at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 16:50:20 GMT 2015

Hello,

First, this is my first time posting here: thanks for all of the work on
your great tool! I really appreciate it.

I would like some help in figuring out why opam wants to remove a given
package. What is the preferred debugging loop people use to figure out this
sort of "package conflict" problem? I could not find anything on the
website about this and it seems like it would be a common problem so I am
emailing you all.

Example: I currently have piqi version 0.7.1 installed. I would like to
install cohttp 0.15.2 with async support. When I try to do this opam wants
to remove both piqi and piqilib.

In debugging this I just sort of floundered around a bit -- I started by
seeing if any older versions of cohttp with async work. Sure enough,
version 0.14.0 works but 0.15.0 seems to have introduced this desire to
remove piqi dependency. Upon further inspection, it looks like base64 2.0.0
(a dependency of cohttp with async v 0.15.0) is what is causing opam to
want to remove piqi. However, I could not yet find anywhere that will
explain to me _why this is the case_.

Thoughts? Thank you.

Trevor