[ocaml-platform] opam-in-a-box

Yaron Minsky yminsky at janestreet.com
Sat Jan 24 03:16:01 GMT 2015

Replying to Louis' response on the teaching list.  If no one objects,
let's keep the conversation here rather than on the teaching list,
since I think we're now into design discussions about user-setup.

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 10:02 PM, Louis Gesbert
<louis.gesbert at ocamlpro.com> wrote:
> user-setup doesn't handle yet the Mac-specific issue of Emacs
> load-paths, so that's probably what is bitting you here; I'll port
> the related code from your .emacs; getting a means to test on these
> ASAP.

Excellent.  Maybe the code I sent in the other email will be useful.
I got it from Jeremie Dimino, so it's better than the dreck I would
put together.

> On hardcoding the paths, I'm still not certain it is the best
> option, but I had a few reasons for doing so (open for discussion,
> obviously, this is still a prototype):
>
> * user-setup configures editors depending on what is installed in
>   the current switch ; it may not make sense in other switches.

I'm tempted to think that this is a mistake, as I said in my previous
email.  I think we'd probably get a more readable and robust set of
emacs configs if they just auto-detected what was there, and
conditionally enabled those bits of editor automation.

> * some tools are generally useful (tuareg, ocp-indent) and
>   installing them in one switch should be enough. There is a clear
>   distinction though for compiler-version dependent tools (merlin,
>   ocp-index).

Yeah, that's a good point.  I think I'd personally prefer to just
install tuareg and ocp-indent and the like in all my switches, and
have merlin and ocp-index work properly as I switch.

> * this is not focused on advanced users with multiple switches,
>   etc. and it makes the configuration simpler to understand and
>   edit.

Fair, although it would be a lot better if this created dot files that
were suitable for people who wanted to extend to more advanced use
later.  Setting up emacs files and the like is quite painful, even for
sophisticated users, and I think a lot of them would appreciate the
help.

As a general matter, an approach of building infrastructure for "less
sophisticated users" that you wouldn't want to use yourself is a
treacherous one, since it means it's harder to test that it really is
good, since you won't use it yourself!

> * this approach is guaranteed to be available for all editors.

Perhaps we should do something more custom for individual editors.  We
could just have different packages for different editors, vim-support,
sublime-text-support, emacs-support, etc, which had some useful
dot-files and a setup script for them.  I'm not sure a one-size-fits-all
-editors approach is going to really be possible here.

> The alternatives would be (i) using packages supplied within the
> editor's ecosystems, when available (see the detailed discussion at
> [1]), which should clearly handle locations dynamically -- I think
> that best serves advanced users but has a purpose distinct enough to
> justify both approaches ; and (ii) dynamically generating
> configuration at editor run time (like ocp-edit does for emacs: it
> reads its own configuration and outputs elisp code that is evaluated
> at run time)
>
> Note that we still hit a consistency issue with this approach if
> installing user-setup in multiple switches. This also raises the
> question of handling "global" or "multi-switch" packages in OPAM.

If we get user-setup to install a robust set of emacs (or vim, or
sublime text...) macros, there isn't really a switch problem.  After
all, my current emacs configs work fine when I flip between different
switches.  If all user-setup is a set of configs to install such
robust scripts, we're in a pretty good place.

In other words, maybe we should focus on building highly robust
scripts first, and then just have an easy delivery mechanism for those
scripts in opam.