[ocaml-platform] [wg-windows] Identifying windows ports for build systems & cross compiling distinctions

Daniel Bünzli daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch
Tue Jun 30 18:52:16 BST 2015

Le mardi, 30 juin 2015 à 18:13, David Allsopp a écrit :
> $OCAMLLIB/Makefile.config defines TOOLCHAIN variable already which gives mingw or msvc.

Ok thanks, so it can at least be discovered. On my osx machine I have cc in there, so I guess this means the C toolchain ?

> (or with more recent OCamls by using the Config module of compiler-libs.common)
Assuming we are accessing this from a build system implemented in OCaml, I guess this fails in cross-compilation settings since you will get the values of the build-os OCaml compilers in there.

> The mingw compiler already use the form w64 for the host, so that the compilers "fake" a cross-compiling triple (e.g. i686-w64-mingw32-gcc and x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc). Perhaps that would be better?
I don't understand what you are proposing here. Did you say we should use "mingw32" as an OS value to denote the mingw ports ?

Best,

Daniel