[ocaml-platform] Dev Version as Package?

Thomas Gazagnaire thomas at gazagnaire.org
Tue May 5 20:30:46 BST 2015

> 1) "dev dependencies" -- I want what is in the repo.
> 2) "explicit dependency" -- I want a given version.
>
> opam has #2 covered.
>
> However it is not clear to me how to do #1 correctly. I can, on a given machine (ie not on an opam repository), pin a given package to a git repo. But locally pinning isn't what I want. I want a package in an opam repository to say "I depend upon this other dev package" so that our build boxes, and various developer machines will all do the same thing, and I don't need to separately pin everything on each box.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this situation before?

you can use dev package in your repo, see for instance https://github.com/samoht/mirage-dev/blob/master/packages/mirage-profile/mirage-profile.0.1/url <https://github.com/samoht/mirage-dev/blob/master/packages/mirage-profile/mirage-profile.0.1/url>

you can either specify a given hash/tag using git: "path.git#tag"

Sharing pins can be done by syncrhonizing ~/.opam/<switch>/pinned and ~/.opam/<switch>/overlay between your machines, but be aware that these paths might change between opam versions.

Thomas