[ocaml-platform] Dev Version as Package?

Trevor Smith trevorsummerssmith at gmail.com
Wed May 6 02:35:00 BST 2015

Wow! Excited to see everyone jumping in. I appreciate everyone's
contributions. Helpful to see how different people are dealing with this.

@Thomas you pointed me in the direction of what I needed. I see that I
overlooked that on reading about repositories, and it is documented at:
http://opam.ocaml.org/doc/Manual.html#Repospecification

What I want to do is emulate Maven SNAPSHOT functionality (described here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5901378/what-exactly-is-a-maven-snapshot-and-why-do-we-need-it
).

I'm going to try to have an internal opam repo with {package-name}.dev for
all internal libraries. This dev version will reference a git repo in the
url file. Dependent projects will reference dev as we are building. When we
make a release we'll do the normal thing and create a version. This
strategy should scale well -- if one has multiple concurrent long-lived
versions one can use version "-dev" (again as in Maven SNAPSHOTS). If this
ends up serving us well I'll shoot out a blog post about it as it seems
there is a lot of interest and different solutions around this topic.

Thoughts? Thanks again for everyone's input.

Trevor