[ocaml-platform] Is it taking too long for OCaml software to become 4.03-compatible? Would release process changes help?

Gabriel Scherer gabriel.scherer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 21:30:59 BST 2016

> I don't think that irresponsible people should be allowed to hold the
> whole eco-system back because of their behaviour.

If it seems to costly to fix a given package, we can always add an upper
bound and declare it done. My condition was that no package that pretends
to be installable should fail to build, not that all packages must be fixed.

Note that I would disapprove of "let's just automatically add an upper
bound on everything that fails at beta time" as a process to meet this
requirement. I would like this to be a human decision, to make sure that we
actually consider fixing them before making them uninstallable.

If specific software is found to be too fragile/unreliable to resist to
OCaml version changes (this arguably is the case of Batteries by design as
its testsuite breaks when the stdlib is extended and Batteries isn't to
match it up), we can decide to always add pessimistic upper bounds on its
packaged versions (Batteries, camlp5 do that). Then it's up to its
maintainers and users to relax the bounds after someone manually checked
that the package works correctly.