[ocaml-platform] Maintainer notifications for opam-builder -- and other opam-builder enhancements

Fabrice Le Fessant fabrice.le_fessant at ocamlpro.com
Sat Oct 1 13:11:45 BST 2016

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 4:05 AM Daniel Bünzli <daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch>
wrote:

> While not granting the same rights to the contributor if you don't have a
> liberal (in the sense non GPL) license... What you say is a gross
> misrepresentation of the actual implications of the terms.

Yes, the rights are not equal, but often, the contributions are not equal
either.  I have written 100% of the code of opam-builder, so why shall I
give you the same rights on my code, just because you might eventually
contribute 10 lines ? Are you the one who will maintain the full code over
time, fix bugs in the lines you added, make them evolve, and so on ? You
want the same rights, but without the same duties.

> Please stop thinking we are idiots.

These are your own thoughts, not mine.

> We already had this discussion when you tried to introduce a CLA on OPAM,
> so I won't discuss this further.

We changed the license in your sense instead of introducing a CLA because
you convinced everybody it was needed to  increase the number of
contributions. Looking at the git logs in github.com/ocaml/opam, the number
of contributions have actually decreased since the license went more
liberal...

--Fabrice