[ocaml-platform] Maintainer notifications for opam-builder -- and other opam-builder enhancements

Gabriel Scherer gabriel.scherer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 15:23:52 BST 2016

Hi platform,

During Fabrice's opam-builder presentation at the OCaml workshop there were
some ideas of minor or major improvements floating around. I just sent a
pull request for improving the colors of the HTML report -- including for
example Yaron Minsky's suggestion to remove the distinction between the
shades of green -- see

  https://github.com/OCamlPro/opam-builder/issues/26
  https://github.com/OCamlPro/opam-builder/pull/27

(in the issue, Fabrice gives instruction on how to test the HTML report
generation without first doing a full build of the opam repository, which
were very helpful to me and could help others wishing to make other changes
to the reporting logic of opam-builder.)

I started a discussion on what would be a good way to notify package
maintainers, on which feedback could be useful -- I'm also interested in
the opinion of the current opam-repository maintainers for example, which
have more experience than I have working with upstream packagers.

  https://github.com/OCamlPro/opam-builder/issues/28

In general I would encourage anyone to help improve opam-builder. We
already have a few suggested features in the issue tracket (for example
Alain Frisch gave feedback tracked in
https://github.com/OCamlPro/opam-builder/issues/17 ), but ideas for
improvements can easily be very open-ended while the resources to implement
those changes seem fairly scarce, so I think focusing on small things first
and actually implementing them could be very productive.