[ocaml-platform] Maintainer notifications for opam-builder -- and other opam-builder enhancements

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Wed Sep 28 19:53:20 BST 2016

On 28 Sep 2016, at 19:35, Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer at gmail.com> wrote:

> And, in any case, any AGPL-related restriction might arguably prevent you from running opam-builder on your own server

...and OPAM was explicitly designed to support installation behind firewalls, which is what we do at work at Docker.

> but I see even less how they could prevent you from contributing patches to the software itself, intended to take effect on Fabrice's instances -- that's the way I've been considering contribution to opam-builder so far, although others are of course warmly welcome to run their own instances if they want.

This isn't very useful for our purposes without access to our internal remotes and code.

There is quite a comprehensive library driving opam-builder that could contribute to the OPAM tooling ecosystem, but cannot currently be extricated from the server software itself: https://github.com/OCamlPro/opam-builder/tree/master/libs/copam

Like Thomas, I'm also unfortunately unable to contribute to software that is restrictively licensed enough that it is not compatible with the mainline OPAM license of LGPLv2. This is not to say that I do not appreciate the efforts that go into it, and I hope it continues to be hosted and maintained by OCamlPro.  I hope a clear separation continues to be maintained between OPAM and OPAM-builder, since code really shouldn't get mixed up as long as the licenses diverge...

regards,
Anil