[wg-camlp4] Structured comments, shallow embeddings and deep quasiquotations

Philippe Veber philippe.veber at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 09:57:36 GMT 2013

Hi all,

I find Jeremy's proposal very convincing : it's very clean and seems to fit
with a lot of situations. One of its main strengths is that the functions
called at ppx time are only passed the annotated expression/item (maybe
that was proposed before, but I did not see it). I think this is a major
improvement from the current ppx option, which deals with the whole parsed
tree each time, and makes extension composition a lot more difficult to
grasp. Having extensions mapped to functions (like deriving or perform) is
also a very nice way to prevent conflicting extensions.

So as a potential user, I'd buy it without hesitation, but maybe there is
some limitation I overlooked?

Another great thing I think is that it may also simplify the build process
: writing an extension is as easy as providing a cma to the compiler,
containing Parsedtree rewriter functions, which are called through the @
notation. One just has to be careful giving cma to ocamlc/ocamlopt and cmxa
to ocamlc.opt/ocamlopt.opt.

ph.