[wg-camlp4] Structured comments, shallow embeddings and deep quasiquotations

Alain Frisch alain.frisch at lexifi.com
Tue Feb 5 09:28:28 GMT 2013

On 02/05/2013 07:53 AM, Alain Frisch wrote:
> 3.  Some very legitimate uses of ppx don't work nicely with the
> constraint that they can operate only on a marked fragment.

I've given examples where the expander needs to inject code
"non-locally", but there are also cases where:

  1) one simply wants the expander to have access to its "context" (the
rest of the unit);

  2) several occurrences of the "expansion marker" need to share some state.

This does not combine well with the idea that each expansion marker is
treated "locally"

Alain