[wg-camlp4] Time for a summary?

Alain Frisch alain.frisch at lexifi.com
Thu Feb 7 10:09:29 GMT 2013

On 02/06/2013 07:48 PM, Hongbo Zhang wrote:
>     Some arguments why Fan is a better candidate than ppx
>     1. Fan is much much faster than P4 (10~20 times)

This is great, in particular because it illustrates a vastly simplified
bootstrapping procedure of Fan compared to Camlp4.  But this does not
bring much to the comparison with ppx.

"-ppx" on its own is even faster to build, since there is nothing to
build (it is just a command-line flag, in the same way as "-pp" on which
Fan relies, I guess).

>     2. Fan does not require any compiler change, easy to distribute, on
> the contrary the pervasive change to compiler is close to kill P4, Fan
> or any other advanced external tools

ppx is already part of the development version and required minimal
changes.  We are also discussing the addition of a few syntactic
constructs which will only impact the definition of Parsetree and the
official parser.  This cannot really be considered as a "pervasive
change" to the compiler.

Can you elaborate on why you think this would kill Camlp4 or Fan?  I
know from experience that Camlp4 is quite tedious to update when the
concrete syntax of OCaml changes, but I'm sure someone will manage to
update Camlp4/Fan definition of OCaml's AST and the associate parsers.

-ppx is compatible with pre-processors implemented with -pp
(Camlp4/Fan), as long as those pre-processors can understand the new
syntactic constructs and pass them back to OCaml.

 > unlike P4, it will
 > not inhibit OCaml's compiler's progress.

Your point above illustrates that it is not that simple: a simple
addition to the OCaml syntax, which would normally require to adapt only
parser.mly, parsetree.mli, ast_mapper.ml/mli and a few other modules in
the compilers, also requires to port the same changes to Fan's
definition of the OCaml AST and to its parsers.

>     3. It's easy to build in Fan

Again, this seems more like a comparison between Fan and Camlp4 than
between Fan and the ppx approach.

 > Fan can recognize its syntax on its
 > own, without external tool's help

How does this argument apply to the comparison with the ppx approach?

>     4. It's easy to port P4's code base to Fan, it only takes me 2 hours
> to port Alain's ulex to Fan

It did not take that much longer to port ulex from Camlp4 to -ppx, and
as an extra added bonus, it really gave me the feeling that I could
finally *breathe* and understand exactly what I'm writing. Frankly, I'm
more comfortable writing:

   E.let_ Recursive states
     (E.sequence
        (appfun "Sedlexing.start" [eid lexbuf])
        (E.match_ (appfun (state_fun 0) [eid lexbuf])
           (cases @ [P.any (), error])
        )
     )

than:

   <:expr< fun lexbuf ->
     let rec $list:Array.to_list states$ in
     do { Ulexing.start lexbuf;
          match __ulex_state_0 lexbuf with
          [ $list:Array.to_list cases$ | _ -> raise Ulexing.Error ] } >>

which requires me to learn two new "sub-languages" (the revised syntax
and the notion of quotation / antiquotation).  Imagine that the "rec"
flag above should be set only according to some condition to be checked;
I know directly how to write that in regular OCaml but I would need to
dig into Camlp4 documentation (or not) to see how to introduce an
"anti-quotation on the rec flag".

Is the code for the Fan version of ulex/sedlex available somewehere?

 > (I also make it available on the toplevel,
 > this feature is not available in sedlex or ulex)

sedlex works fine in the toplevel:

$ ocaml -ppx "ocamlfind sedlex/sedlex.exe"
         OCaml version 4.01.0+dev10-2012-10-16

# #use "topfind";;
- : unit = ()
Findlib has been successfully loaded. Additional directives:
# #require "sedlex";;
/home/afrisch/.opam/4.01.0dev+trunk/lib/sedlex: added to search path
/home/afrisch/.opam/4.01.0dev+trunk/lib/sedlex/sedlexing.cma: loaded
# let rec token buf =
   let ('a'..'z'|'A'..'Z') as letter = SEDLEX.regexp in
   let '0'..'9' as digit = SEDLEX.regexp in
   match SEDLEX buf with
   | Plus letter -> Printf.printf "Word %s\n" (Sedlexing.Latin1.lexeme
buf); token buf
   | Plus digit -> Printf.printf "Number %s\n" (Sedlexing.Latin1.lexeme
buf); token buf
   | _ -> failwith "Error"
               ;;
val token : Sedlexing.lexbuf -> 'a = <fun>
#

>     5. Global Ast Rewriter is available but discouraged
>     6. Local Ast Rewriter is provided(deriving and type_conv conflicts
> will never happen in Fan)
>         {:ocaml| type u = A of int |}
>         {:derive| (sexp,json) |}

Can you describe in more detail your position concerning the following
points?

   - How do you deal with cases where the "expander" for such a local
annotation needs to access the context of the AST fragment on which it
applies, or where it needs to inject code non-locally?  For instance,
several ulex/sedlex lexers specified in the same file will share code
"partition function" (put at the beginning of the compilation unit in
this case).

  - How would you support "ignorable" attributes, e.g. information
targeted to specific tools like bisect or a variant ocamldoc based on
structured comments?

  - How would you support a simple macro system?  For instance, I can
imagine to use -ppx to do something like:

    let(:macro) if_debug x =
      if !debug_mode then (print_endline "DEBUG:"; x)

    let debug_mode = ref false

    if_debug (print_endline "XXX")

    What would be the Fan equivalent of it?

  - Imagine that two type-conv-like extensions need to be applied on the
same type declaration, and detect attributes put on type expressions in it:

     type foo =
           {
             quantity: float (@xml ~digits:2) (@bin single);
             code: string (@xml ~cdata) (@bin base64);
           }
          (@xml) (@bin)

  (here we have two annotations "xml" and "bin" on the type declaration
"foo", understood by two independent tools which generate marshaling
code based the declaration, and interpret annotations on inner type
expressions to customize the format)

  How do you write that in Fan?  My understanding is that one the
expanders will be applied first and it will need to parse the type
declaration itself; but what will it do with attributes intended to be
used by the other extension?

  - Can you confirm that the content .... of {:foo| .... |} is passed as
an unparsed string to the expander "foo"?  If this is the case, what is
your position concerning support from editor?  Should they treat ....
like OCaml code (e.g. applying lexing rules for coloring and grammar
rules for indentation)?  If so, this syntax will not work well with
fragments of code in a foreign syntax, and could potentially lead to
broken editor behavior.  If not, you loose all support from your editor
as soon as your are in the scope of an expander.  Or maybe do you
envision a much ambitious proposal where the editor would somehow need
to run the expander "on the fly" (I don't believe this is possible at a
reasonable cost).  Another question: how is the end marker |} detected?
  Can you write e.g.:

    {:html|
      its terminator |}
    |}

>     7. Fan's notation is uniform
>         only {:| |} is introduced, I  am a bit headache when seeing so
> many notations

I claim that this single notation corresponds to three different
concepts which deserve to be understood separately:

   - Extension marker around a parsed fragment, to be interpreted by an
expander (otherwise the type-checker fails).

   - Attributes attached on AST fragments, to be (optionally)
interpreted by tools like Bisect, by expanders, or which can trigger
themselves local rewritings (in that case, one might want a specific
syntax to ensure they won't be silently ignored by the type-checker).

   - Quotations: a way to write fragment of code in a foreign syntax, by
escaping from OCaml lexical conventions on string literals.  (I believe
this is rather orthogonal to -ppx and might be useful for regular
libraries, but I accept the idea of a combined notation: extension
marker + quotation.)

>     8. Fan provides first class parser lexer(or in-line parser/lexer) as
> a library

I claim that most interesting uses of camlp4 extensions around can be
implemented in a way which does not require any extra lexing/parsing
technology in addition to what's included in the core compiler today
(based on ocamllex/ocamlyacc).  (The only exceptions seem to be these
extensions which need to parse foreign syntax, and I find it good that
they can rely on an arbitrary parsing technology.)

Alain