[wg-camlp4] benchmarks

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Mon Feb 11 10:31:15 GMT 2013

On 11 Feb 2013, at 10:06, Alain Frisch <alain.frisch at lexifi.com> wrote:

> For a code base like Jane Street's where many "extensions" have to be used everywhere, I suspect that the "independent" ppx processes might become an issue (or maybe not, if compared to camlp4), but the following solutions would work:
>
> - Statically linking a "big rewriter" called with -ppx.

This worked well in the case of Mirage; in the monolithic repository, we link together all the camlp4 extensions into a single big one, and invoke that across all files.

It should work just fine with ppx, and has the advantage of reducing the number of ocamlfind calls per-file (which is a considerable overhead on large projects, since it has to scan the META directories on every invocation).

There's also the advantage in camlp4 that this checks that syntax extensions do not conflict. This is less of an issue with ppx, thankfully.