[wg-camlp4] [Caml-list] Working Group: the future of syntax extensions in OCaml, after camlp4

Daniel Bünzli daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch
Thu Jan 24 15:57:37 GMT 2013

Le jeudi, 24 janvier 2013 à 15:31, Alain Frisch a écrit :
> - Gather information from the community about the use of camlp4.
> (Please consider sharing information about your use of camlp4
> and camlp4-based extensions, even if you don't plan to participate
> to the working group discussions!)

I tried to disable camlp4 to compile OCaml 4.00.1 on a raspberry pi --- takes half the (long) compilation time, and allows you to compile OCaml without having to increase the swap size of the default raspbian image to prevent the system from crashing during camlp4 compilation...

However one thing I learned is that currently, it's pretty a no go as camlp4 is needed by ocamlfind which means that if you use something like opam to install software you can't install any of the 'required by' packages mentioned on this page [1].

So it seems that to get rid of camlp4, ocamlfind needs to get rid of camlp4, I'd be interested in what Gerd has to say about that (I have no idea if camlp4 is used by the tool itself or if it's just needed to provide support for camlp4).

Best,

Daniel

[1] http://opam.ocamlpro.com/pkg/ocamlfind.1.3.3.html