[wg-camlp4] My uses of syntax extension

Fabrice Le Fessant Fabrice.Le_fessant at inria.fr
Mon Jan 28 17:01:14 GMT 2013

On 01/28/2013 05:51 PM, Alain Frisch wrote:
> On 01/28/2013 05:44 PM, Fabrice Le Fessant wrote:
>> Of course. For that, anyway, you need a "standard" of quotations and
>> anti-quotations, i.e. all parsers must obey the rule that
>> anti-quotations are between $...$ and quotations between <:XXX< ... >>.
>> Then, you don't need to know the syntax within the (anti-)quotations,
>> you can delegate parsing at the time the parsetree is needed.
>
> We need to be careful about lexical conventions: do we lex strings and
> comments as the standard lexer within quotations, for instance?  Do we
> provide a mechanism to escape the closing delimiters?

You would probably want to have "$$" => "$" to escape it, and
something similar for "<:" and ">>".

I think you have two sets of alternative levels, i.e. "even" and "odd"
levels, $...$ can only appear in "even" levels, and <:...<...>> in "odd"
levels, so you only need to escape delimiters in the levels where they
can appear, no ?

--Fabrice