[wg-camlp4] Supporting traditional quotations

Leo White lpw25 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 14:19:28 GMT 2013

Since what we are currently debating is whether to add a lightweight syntax
for a type of syntax extension that is used by a number of extensions and
appreciated by a number of people, is there any real issue with including
it?

I don't think that "I don't like using those kind of extensions" is a good
reason to prevent them (or make them more awkward) for the people who do
like using them.

Similarly, I think that we should support the type-conv style syntax:

type foo =
  | Foo of int
with sexp, bin_io

Sure, this could be changed to use the attribute syntax:

type foo =
  | Foo of int
(@ sexp)
(@ bin_io)

but the original is convenient, already used for a number of extensions and
has proved popular.

In general there is little harm in supporting syntaxes/extensions that are
already widespread.