[compiler-hacking] Use of opam-compiler-conf: install packages

Jeremie Dimino jdimino at janestreet.com
Tue Apr 5 10:57:17 BST 2016

BTW, regarding JS packages, the ones currently released in opam are < 4.03
only. We do have a version of core and other Jane Street packages that
works with 4.03. It's being released [1]. I'm not sure it's working with
4.03.0+trunk though, and it's definitely not working with 4.04. We are
thinking of ways to improve compatibility of at least the ppx rewriters

 [1] https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository/pull/6094

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 6:18 PM, Olivier Nicole <
olivier.nicole at ensta-paristech.fr> wrote:

> On 04/04/2016 06:46 PM, Jeremy Yallop wrote:
> > On 4 April 2016 at 13:45, Olivier Nicole
> > <olivier.nicole at ensta-paristech.fr> wrote:
> >>>

> https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository/blob/master/packages/core/core.113.33.00/opam#L29

> >> Thank you, I just needed to do an `opam update`. But now the ppx-tools
> >> and sexplibs packages fail to build, and I'm quite sure it is not due to
> >> my changes in translcore.ml (I merely changed a condition to `true` so
> >> that records are always updated fieldwise). For example, the build of
> >> ppx_tools fails with:
> >>
> >>     File "src/gen/common.ml", line 73, characters 24-34:
> >>     Error: This expression has type Types.constructor_arguments
> >>            but an expression was expected of type Types.type_expr list
> >>
> >> Am I missing something or did my changes really break the package?
> >
> > It's quite likely that the released versions of ppx-tools and sexplib
> > don't compile with OCaml trunk.  Packages that depend on compiler-libs
> > tend to break whenever there's a significant change to a module such
> > as Parsetree or Types.
> >

> Working with version 4.02.3 fixed the problem. Thank you!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Olivier

Jeremie