[containers-users] release 0.14, and the future

Simon Cruanes simon.cruanes.2007 at m4x.org
Mon Nov 9 13:30:47 GMT 2015

Hello,

I just released 0.14, as announced on the OCaml list. There aren't many
breaking changes (mostly in CCParse, the simple parser combinator module
that I doubt anyone uses so far; it should be more usable now).

As already discussed on this list, I would like to add labels to
containers, and possibly introduce a few other changes to improve the
quality of the library. This will break most of the existing code that
uses containers; a possible solution would be to release it as 1.0 and
have "legacy" code require "containers < 1.0". The versions 0.xx would
then only get bugfixes.

The other changes would be to have more consistent naming of functions
and ordering of argument for data structures, and possibly introducing
private aliases to improve type safety in some places (e.g., all the
low-level IO stuff might have a private type for length, that ensures a
length is always positive).

I'd be glad to hear your opinion on all this, or suggestions about
naming/labels/type safety…

Cheers!

--
Simon Cruanes

http://weusepgp.info/
key 49AA62B6, fingerprint 949F EB87 8F06 59C6 D7D3  7D8D 4AC0 1D08 49AA 62B6