[containers-users] plans for 1.0

Rudi Grinberg rudi.grinberg at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 21:53:00 GMT 2016

>Hello there,
>
>Release 1.0 is getting closer, as most points in issue #84 have been
>addressed (at least for me). I should make a release candidate in the next
>few weeks.

I wonder if this is too late to bring this up, but it would be really nice if
containers would replace its use of depopts with proper container sub packages.
Concretely, this would mean changing every depopt x to a container-x package
that depends on containers. It *does not* mean making any new git repositories.

Since this is quite late in the cycle to ask for this, and the task is
unfortunately non trivial given the build tools we have today. It's possible to
sorta of implement this using a little hack I've learned in conduit:

https://github.com/mirage/ocaml-conduit/blob/master/mirage-conduit.opam

While this isn't ideal, it will future proof containers against any breakage
that might be caused by a proper split into opam sub packages.

The discussion of depopts vs. proper sub packages has been brought up many times
before, so I'd rather not regurgitate the talking points unless there are
objections. Let me just say that I think the current this prevalence of using
depopts instead of proper sub libraries/packages is user hostile. And several
popular packages are already starting to move away from this (lwt for example).

Cheers,

Rudi.