[containers-users] plans for 1.0

Simon Cruanes simon.cruanes.2007 at m4x.org
Sun Jan 1 18:21:06 GMT 2017

Le Sat, 31 Dec 2016, Rudi Grinberg a écrit :
> I wonder if this is too late to bring this up, but it would be really nice if
> containers would replace its use of depopts with proper container sub packages.
> Concretely, this would mean changing every depopt x to a container-x package
> that depends on containers. It *does not* mean making any new git repositories.

It's not too late. It's an interesting idea, now the devil is in
the details.

> Since this is quite late in the cycle to ask for this, and the task is
> unfortunately non trivial given the build tools we have today. It's possible to
> sorta of implement this using a little hack I've learned in conduit:
>
> https://github.com/mirage/ocaml-conduit/blob/master/mirage-conduit.opam
>
> While this isn't ideal, it will future proof containers against any breakage
> that might be caused by a proper split into opam sub packages.

If I follow correctly, you create a dummy package foo-bar whose dependencies
correspond to foo + those of the sub-package foo.bar, so that people
can depend on foo-bar freely. It's cheap indeed. The only drawback I can
see is that versions of all those packages have to be kept synchronized
manually.

> The discussion of depopts vs. proper sub packages has been brought up many times
> before, so I'd rather not regurgitate the talking points unless there are
> objections. Let me just say that I think the current this prevalence of using
> depopts instead of proper sub libraries/packages is user hostile. And several
> popular packages are already starting to move away from this (lwt for example).

I'm not sure I have read that much arguments about this design choice,
can you just point to them (e.g. for lwt)?

In any case, thanks for the opinion, it might very well happen :-)

and happy new year!

--
Simon Cruanes

http://weusepgp.info/
key 49AA62B6, fingerprint 949F EB87 8F06 59C6 D7D3  7D8D 4AC0 1D08 49AA 62B6