[ocaml-ctypes] [Caml-list] Library recompilation with OCamljava

Jeremy Yallop yallop at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 10:44:44 BST 2014

[+cc ctypes at lists.ocaml.org]

On 18/10/2014, Kenneth Adam Miller <kennethadammiller at gmail.com> wrote:
> Precisely! ocaml-ctypes is exactly what's being used by the library
> that I'm porting to call into C sub libraries. It would be really
> sweet if the ocamljava compiler could detect the ocaml-ctypes and
> generate these mappings automatically. This would eliminate a lot of
> error prone code, since C code tends to interpret data raw at some
> point... How might I got about writing this to boot? I'm moderately
> new to ocaml, lacking deep expertise in it, but I'm an aggressive
> learner. Please explain the best path forward, I want to create a
> robust and reusable solution.

OCaml-Java support is on the wish list for ctypes

    https://github.com/ocamllabs/ocaml-ctypes/issues/13

but we don't have the resources to implement it at present.  Adding
support would mostly likely only involve changing ctypes itself, not
OCaml-Java, and is likely to involve writing OCaml-Java
implementations of the following components:

  (1) memory access, i.e. functions for allocating blocks, for reading
and writing scalar values to arbitrary addresses, and for viewing C
objects as bigarrays:
     https://github.com/ocamllabs/ocaml-ctypes/blob/master/src/ctypes/memory_stubs.ml
     https://github.com/ocamllabs/ocaml-ctypes/blob/master/src/ctypes/bigarray_stubs.ml

  (2) functions for printing primitive (scalar) values:
     https://github.com/ocamllabs/ocaml-ctypes/blob/master/src/ctypes/value_printing_stubs.ml

  (3) implementations of signed and unsigned integer types of various sizes:
     https://github.com/ocamllabs/ocaml-ctypes/blob/master/src/ctypes/signed.ml
     https://github.com/ocamllabs/ocaml-ctypes/blob/master/src/ctypes/unsigned.ml

  (4) functions for converting between OCaml and C string representations
     https://github.com/ocamllabs/ocaml-ctypes/blob/master/src/ctypes/std_view_stubs.ml

plus one of the following approaches for calling functions

  (a) a "dynamic" approach, which resolves symbols and constructs call
frames at runtime, like the ctypes Foreign module.  This involves two
components: a dynamic loading interface along the
      following lines
      https://github.com/ocamllabs/ocaml-ctypes/blob/master/src/ctypes-foreign-base/dl.mli
      and primitives for dynamically constructing and making calls:
      https://github.com/ocamllabs/ocaml-ctypes/blob/master/src/ctypes-foreign-base/ffi_stubs.ml

  (b) a "static" approach, which generates code to be compiled by the
standard toolchain:
      https://github.com/ocamllabs/ocaml-ctypes/blob/master/src/cstubs/cstubs.mli

Note that most of the links above are to internal Ctypes modules, not
to the interface, which I'd expect to remain largely unchanged.

As Xavier suggests, JNA may be a good starting point for some or all
of the above.  If someone would like to look at adding OCaml-Java
support, please feel free to ask questions, either on the GitHub issue
tracker, or on the ctypes mailing list.

Jeremy.