[ocaml-ctypes] Cheating on Foreign.foreign to use Unix.stat stubs

Andrea Giugliano ag400 at leicester.ac.uk
Mon Oct 27 12:08:39 GMT 2014

Hello everyone,

I am using ctypes in order to passing null pointers as input of Unix
syscalls.
So far we used the Unix OCaml library to use syscalls (open, chdir, stat),
but it does not allow passing null pointers as input paths of the
syscalls (i.e. mkdir NULL is not possible using OCaml Unix.mkdir).

The thing is I would like to avoid implementing again the logic of Unix
operations after having create ctypes stubs,
instead I was successful so far in using the Unix stubs as my C
functions. For instance I can have:

let my_mkdir = Foreign.foreign "unix_mkdir" ~checkerrno:true (string_opt
@-> returning int)

Now this does not work with the stat syscall, because it returns a data
structure.
The data structure returned is an OCaml type (indeed it is a Unix C stub
I am using),
ctypes expects a C structure, and I convert the expected C structure in
a OCaml type again.

The question is: did anyone of you try to cheat too?
Is that just a completely wrong use case of ctypes (poor -lazy- me I
must implement again the logic of Unix!)?
Thanks a lot,

Andrea

P.S: I attach the code I was trying to run for the stat function: it
worst case it can be used as "don't do this!"