[ocaml-infra] Redesigning OCaml.org

Leo White lpw25 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 7 01:36:20 BST 2013

>> It's only useless if you already know what ocamlfind is, otherwise its quite useful information.
>
> Not really. That thing is likely going to be installed at the first `opam install pkg` invocation. So I don't need that useless popularity tab to tell me that it exists.

Knowing that (almost) all packages use ocamlfind is useful information
for a beginner who may want to create their own packages.

>> Besides, we can probably come up with something a bit more useful than simple number of downloads.
>
> Why not but anything that has number of downloads in the equation is going to be flawed.
>
> The very idea of trying to measure "popularity" (whatever that means) seems wrong and misleading to me. I don't see any of this automatic pseudo popularity crap in other package systems. Besides it's not because a package is not often downloaded that it's not popular, it may be very popular to a narrow demographics. It's not because a package is often used by other packages that it's good or means that you should use it, it may be due to legacy reasons, etc., etc

The important thing is to create the appearance of an active and vibrant
community. A most popular/most downloaded tab quickly gives you an
idea of the number of people using OCaml. It also shows that there are
established libraries with many users, which is particularly important
for a language with a negligible standard library.