[ocaml-infra] ocaml.org on 1st page of google query for ocaml.

Sylvain Le Gall sylvain at le-gall.net
Sat Jan 19 09:43:25 GMT 2013

2013/1/18 Amir Chaudhry <amc79 at cam.ac.uk>

> I'd be wary of drawing too many conclusion from this just yet.  There's no
> testing going on regarding intent so those could be anything from casual
> drive-by visitors to hard-core users.  All we can say is that 1/3rd of
> visitors to the ocaml.org site are using Windows.

Well, guessing intent from stats is kind of hard. I mean, you CANNOT do
that even after a long period of time. All these are just clues, you must
make guess on the stats.

I would be deeply surprised that we got a lot of "drive-by visitors"... You
cannot really end up on the front page of ocaml.org just as you will end-up
on a Facebook page. The ocaml.org website doesn't really have catch all
words/sentences.

> Also bear in mind that stats like this might be skewed by population size.
>  It doesn't surprise me at all that there are a lot of US visitors.  Having
> said that, I don't know what Google Analytics does in the background to
> mitigate this (if at all).

What do you want to mitigate ? If there are a lot of US visitors, you won't
divide the number of US visitors...

> Anecdote: One of the things a startup friend told me is that when your
> browser visits start matching the ratio of overall browser market share,
> then you can consider yourself as breaking out of the 'echo-chamber'.  This
> used to mean going from Firefox-heavy traffic to IE-heavy traffic (Chrome
> may have changed things since then).

That probably stands for general purpose web sites -- which is not the case
of ocaml.org.

I would say that what is important is the number of abandonment ("sorties"
in french) from the root page. In the case of "ocaml.org", 34% abandon from
/, 21% goes to install, 14% goes to taste.html... I guess it shows that we
have a lot of people interested enough to discover how to install OCaml...
I think there is a clear intent to discover the OCaml language when going
to ocaml.org.