[ocaml-infra] google analytics configuration

Amir Chaudhry amc79 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 21 09:25:47 GMT 2013

On 20 Jan 2013, at 21:40, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas.gazagnaire at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Thomas must have granted read-only access to some of us, which is why we can see the stats.
> indeed, it's what I've done
>
>> As far as I can tell, there are only two solutions:
>>
>> 1) If the ocamlpro google analytics account contains only the ocaml.org property (I doubt it, but Thomas please confirm), then we got lucky. Thomas you can give admin access to ocamlwebsite at gmail.com, the name ocamlpro can be changed, and everything will be as we want it.
>
> unfortunately we are tracking other websites as well ... I've tried to play a little bit with admin access and account migration but this seems completely broken. I don't understand why google can't fix this. I'll look tomorrow if I can find a free or open-source solution and import ocaml.org data in there.

I'm confused.  Why can't we give Administrator access to *only* the ocaml.org tracking to ocamlwebsite at gmail.com?

From the home page try this:
ocamlpro -> ocaml.org -> Admin (near the top right of the screen) -> Users (+ New User) … and set the role to Administrator (i.e it's the same thing you did previously but with admin rights this time -- here for others who may be struggling with GAs confusing interface).

This only exposes the ocaml.org tracking and nothing else within the overall GoogleID (e.g I'm tracking about 6 sites under my gmail ID and some of them are shared some not).  Thomas, you can test this with other folks in OCamlPro to confirm the behaviour first.

I'm reluctant to change things around too much right now so I think we should stick with Google Analytics, rather than looking at other options we'd have to deploy ourselves.  If the fact that the tracking lives under OCamlPro's overall google ID is a problem (even after sharing admin access) then I'd simply replace/add tracking codes with one created under ocamlwebsite at gmail.com and accept the break in history [1].  We can consider a different (open source) set up later this year once we have infrastructure (and fixed any issues regarding uptime).  Even then, I'd keep GA tracking as a backup.

>> Advice: if you ever use google analytics, be sure to create a distinct google analytics account for each website you want to track (all this can go under a single google account, so you still don't have too many actual accounts). I have no idea what the utility of a google analytics account is. The concept seems superfluous.
>
> Agreed, something that I learned in the hard way …

I dont understand what you mean by "create a distinct google analytics account for each website".  My last experience with GA is that it pretty much forces you to do this for each tracking code you create.  You can then share admin rights or add different users, independently of your other 'accounts'.  Am I wrong about this? I actually don't see how you could use GA any other way.

The last question on this page [2] might be worth a look (in time).

Amir

[1] I am extremely glad that we actually *do* have this history so thank you to whoever set it up - AC
[2] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6278914/can-we-move-google-analytics-data-to-other-account