[ocaml-infra] Redesigning OCaml.org - Using Markdown

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Sun Jul 7 12:26:14 BST 2013

On 6 Jul 2013, at 15:33, Ashish Agarwal <agarwal1975 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 6:37 AM, Florent Monnier <monnier.florent at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> IMHO, the above idea won't replace the advantages of a real wiki.
>
> I agree. I think the current goal is to use GitHub as a pseudo-wiki. They'll handle the user accounts and server for us. We get static text files in the backend, which can be processed in custom ways as needed. But yes, it's not perfect. There is some extra indirection before you actually get to edit the file and that's enough of a deterrent if you just wanted to fix a spelling error. The next step might be to integrate an editor directly into ocaml.org, with authentication via GitHub or OpenID.

I like the idea of using the Github wiki as a frontend to editing the Markdown -- it solves the immediate problem, and still doesn't lock us into the Github workflow too tightly.

The ocaml-github bindings are pretty easy to integrate into Javascript authentication (I'll release the RWO commenting code shortly that does that).  We're planning to extend this to other identity formats such as Persona and OpenID in the future.