[ocaml-infra] Adopting a Governance framework for OCaml.org

Fabrice Le Fessant Fabrice.Le_fessant at inria.fr
Fri Sep 11 11:59:19 BST 2015

Hi Amir,

  It seems a bit surprising for me, while reading the document, that
only people are involved, and not organizations. Given the structure
of the OCaml community, I would have expected INRIA, Jane Street,
OCamlPro, OCamllabs to be explicitely part of the discussion. For
example, opam.ocaml.org is maintained by OCamlPro (for OPAM source
itself, by formerly Thomas and now Louis) and OCamllabs (for the
repository, by Anil and Thomas). So, can a "Maintainer" be a company
or institution, in addition to the  developers that are currently
doing the work ? Moreover, the name "OCaml" still belongs to INRIA, so
I would have expected to see Xavier mentionned as both the main
Owner/Maintainer of OCaml, and as representing INRIA and the Caml
Consortium for all OCaml business.

Best regards,
--Fabrice

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Amir Chaudhry <amc79 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> This is just a reminder that this process is still ongoing.
>
> The following people are currently involved with the domain itself or Projects that make use of it.  For each of the people in the list, do you agree to adopt the governance document?
>
> - Ashish Agarwal
> - Amir Chaudhry
> - Thomas Gazagnaire
> - Louis Gesbert
> - Sylvain Le Gall
> - Thomas Leonard
> - Xavier Leroy
> - Anil Madhavapeddy
> - David Sheets
> - Christophe Troestler
> - Philippe Wang
>
> I've made an issue on the www.ocaml.org repository [1] to track the responses. A reminder of where we are in the process is below.
>
> -- The process for adopting the governance framework --
>
> 0. I draft and discuss a governance document with existing project maintainers and reach agreement. (DONE).
> 1.  I send an email update to the infra list and caml-list, with a link to a public version of the doc. (DONE)
> 2.  We allow a period of public discussion on the infra list. (IN PROGRESS)
> 3.  During this, I explicitly ask Maintainers and Owner to confirm they will adopt the doc. (IN PROGRESS)
> 4.  In parallel, I create an issue on the ocaml.org repo with a list of people to check off as agreements come in -- important that the responses happen on the mailing list as that's properly archived. (IN PROGRESS)
> 5.  Once all the affirmations are in, I push the doc to the ocaml.org site.
>
> [1] https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml.org/issues/700
>
> Best wishes,
> Amir
>

>> On 28 Aug 2015, at 15:12, Amir Chaudhry <amc79 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Earlier this year, I began working towards a governance framework for the OCaml.org domain and the projects that make use of it. I wrote about my approach to this and mentioned that such a framework should:
>> - demonstrate a commitment to a stable decision-making process.
>> - be clear about scope (i.e. OCaml.org).
>> - document current reality, rather than being aspirational.
>> - be a living document, meaning that it can and should evolve.
>>
>> Please read the original post for detail on the above points.
>> http://amirchaudhry.com/towards-governance-framework-for-ocamlorg/
>>
>> Since that time, I've drafted a governance document and discussed it with those who already run projects under OCaml.org.  We've reached a point where we're ready to discuss this more widely and more formally adopt the model.

>> By the 14th of September we'll wrap things up (for this time around) and publish version 1.0 of the agreed document on OCaml.org
>>
>> You can find a draft linked below and the step-by-step process we're following.  Please do share your thoughts on this thread.
>>
>> Document: https://gist.github.com/amirmc/fe8a931c246bb13d9b32

> [...]

Fabrice LE FESSANT
Chercheur en Informatique
INRIA Paris Rocquencourt -- OCamlPro
Programming Languages and Distributed Systems