[ocaml-infra] OPAM: Depend on particular git commit?

Ralf Jung post at ralfj.de
Thu Nov 24 14:52:32 GMT 2016

Hi all,

I'm trying to use opam to express a highly volataile dependency, where
project B wants to say "I need exactly git commit X of project A".
Project A frequently has breaking changes, so just depending on "master"
("dev") is too coarse-grained.  Currently, we have a submodule in
project B indicating the proper commit of project B, but with the
dependency graph getting larger than two nodes, this stops scaling, so
I'd like to use opam.  I tried putting the git URL
("https://.../projectA.git#X") into the "depends" of project B, but
unfortunately that doesn't seem to be supported.

Is there another way to achieve a dependency on a particular git commit?

Kind regards,
Ralf