[omake] Overriding OMakefile variables from the command line

Abhishek Chakravarti abhishek at taranjali.org
Sat Jan 11 05:15:12 GMT 2020

I am working on a GPL open source research project RefPerSys
(https://gitlab.com/bstarynk/refpersys) that uses OMake. OMake's
dependency analysis using MD5 digests is essential for our project.

In our OMakefile, we have an `OPTIMFLAGS` variable that specifies the
default GCC optimisation flags. The behaviour that we are looking for is
to override the `OPTIMFLAGS` variable from the command line, in a manner
similar to Makefiles.

What we have observed is that OMake seems to ignore the `OPTIMFLAGS`
variable passed through the command line when it is already specified in
the OMakefile.

In our OMakefile
(https://gitlab.com/bstarynk/refpersys/blob/master/OMakefile), line 63,
we have `|OPTIMFLAGS = -O0 -g3`. However, when we run `omake clean`
followed by `||omake "OPTIMFLAGS='-O0 -fno-inline -DONTWANTOPTIMS -g3'"
--verbose, we note that `OPTIMFLAGS` is still set as `-O0 -g3` and not
`O0 -fno-inline -DONTWANTOPTIMS -g3` as anticipated.

Is this the expected behaviour? And if so, is there a way to achieve
what we have in mind, i.e., overriding OMakefile variables through the
command line?

Sincerely,

Abhishek Chakravarti
abhishek at taranjali.org  | +91 9836 8529 39