[opam-devel] versioning of Core packages

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Mon Mar 25 16:20:11 GMT 2013

On 25 Mar 2013, at 16:16, Jeremie Dimino <jdimino at janestreet.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil at recoil.org> wrote:
>> Jeremie, Yaron, what's your view on decoupling a few of the more core libraries and bumping their versions independently of Core itself?  I'm thinking of the syntax extensions mainly.
>
> I have no objection.
>
>> Note that this could be as simple as not including them in a weekly release, and bumping their versions up to the latest if a change does happen.  Or, an alternative is to specify the constraints in OPAM such that an older interface that hasn't changed would be included in the constraint, and hence not trigger an upgrade unless required.
>
> The first solution seems fine to me.  For the second one all the
> packages would still be rebuilt by "opam upgrade"?

Yeah they would.  I was thinking of a heuristic that would require only the root packages to be upgraded to their latest versions (that is, the ones explicitly installed by the OPAM user), and leave intermediate packages until a full upgrade is requested.

However, it would just be easier if the versioning was decoupled from the get-go.