[opam-devel] Ideas from Node.js

Sylvain Le Gall sylvain+ocaml at le-gall.net
Fri Oct 11 23:00:22 BST 2013

Hello,

This is something already somehow do-able with OASIS: just embed an
_oasis (more rfc822 than JSON) and use oasis2opam to convert the
_oasis to OPAM required files.

http://oasis.forge.ocamlcore.org

If OPAM dev would integrate a little more with OASIS (i.e. get rid of
oasis2opam to directly read data from _oasis distributed with upstream
package) and allow override using classic OPAM files, it will be super
easy to release OASIS package directly in OPAM.

I think the current design of OPAM regarding location of files is fine
when you design a package manager. I wonder if it will make it even
more useful to cooperate with another system more dedicated to
upstream packages like OASIS.

Regards
Sylvain

p.s. sorry for the shameless ads plug for OASIS, I still think a step
forward to cooperate between OASIS and OPAM would be a huge gain for
everyone.