[opam-devel] global installation with opam

Daniel Bünzli daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch
Wed Dec 10 23:49:50 GMT 2014

Le jeudi, 11 décembre 2014 à 00:30, Thomas Gazagnaire a écrit :
> you can indeed have things under /usr/local/opam, but what you might want is to have libs in /usr/local/lib, binaries in /usr/local/bin to integrate with your system better etc... homebrew solves this by taking ownership of /usrl/local, but we clearly don't want this for opam (I think) :-)

That's not exactly true. In homebrew each package installs in its own prefix and then, if you actually want (i.e. by default), will symlink into /usr/local prefixes.

So why not try to take the same approach ? opam packages live in their own prefix (that's already the case) and then just provide a way to symlink package contents into a given prefix.

That would avoid having another special switch.

So maybe we just want `opam link`, no ?

(I'm sure I'm missing a lot of things, like relocatable compiler etc.).

Best,

Daniel