[opam-devel] opam 1.1.1 and aspcud 1.9

Roberto Di Cosmo roberto at dicosmo.org
Thu Dec 11 13:56:00 GMT 2014

Just for completeness, here is the info I can confirm after checking with
the Debian side:

 - in Debian Jessie and Sid, opam 1.2 is now correctly packaged together with
   aspcud 1.9 and dose 3.3

 - unfortunately, the time-boxed development process of Ubuntu, with a release
   in mid-October, ended in picking up an inconsistent set of versions of our
   beloved packages from the Debian timeline; this is not something that only
   happen to us, it is intrinsically related to these imperfectly aligned
   processes, and I suppose the Ubuntu people will be quick to act on this,
   as they are probably used to this kind of events

--
Roberto

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 10:40:57AM +0900, Louis Gesbert wrote:
> It's indeed completely broken, that's bad news indeed.
>
> But I confirm my diagnostic: aspcud is not in cause, Dose is (well, or the dose interface in opam 1.1, not trying to put the blame on anyone). The problem happens even without aspcud installed.
>
> Here is the original report: https://github.com/ocaml/opam/issues/1683
>
> Opam build got broken between 1.1.1-1 (trusty) and 1.1.1-1build3 (utopic) because the dose version was upgraded from 3.1.3-7build1 to 3.2.2-2build1. It's very painful when everything types and compiles after an upgrade, but gets subtly broken :(
>
> I filed a bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/opam/+bug/1401346
> Hope they can act on it quickly...
>
> Thanks for notifying and helping trace this!
> Louis
>
> > - Anil Madhavapeddy, 10/12/2014 14:54 -
> > I just reproduced it by following the referenced bug report.
> >
> > From a fresh Ubuntu 14.10, if I do:
> >
> > $ sudo apt-get install opam camlp4-extra aspcud
> > $ opam init -a
> > $ opam install mirage -y
> > $ eval `opam config env`
> >
> > At this point some packages have been installed and mirage is installed.
> >
> > Now however, if I use mirage it invokes opam install again and packages
> > are reinstalled as a duplicate.  See below:
> >
> > opam install --yes conduit cow cowabloga crunch cstruct io-page lwt mirage-clock-unix mirage-conduit mirage-console mirage-fs-unix mirage-http mirage-net-unix mirage-types mirage-unix tcpip vchan
> > [NOTE] Package mirage-types is already installed (current version is 2.1.0).
> > [NOTE] Package lwt is already installed (current version is 2.4.6).
> > [NOTE] Package io-page is already installed (current version is 1.1.1).
> > [NOTE] Package cstruct is already installed (current version is 1.4.0).
> > [NOTE] Package crunch is already installed (current version is 1.3.0).
> > [WARNING] mirage-unix.2.1.0 references unknown package mirage-profile
> > The following actions will be performed:
> >  - install ocamlfind.1.5.5 [required by cowabloga, crunch, mirage-fs-unix, mirage-http]
> >  - install base-no-ppx.base [required by cowabloga, mirage-fs-unix, mirage-http]
> >  - install camlp4.4.01.0 [required by cowabloga, mirage-fs-unix, mirage-http]
> >  - install base-threads.base [required by cowabloga, mirage-fs-unix, mirage-http]
> >  - install base-bigarray.base [required by cowabloga]
> >  - install base-unix.base [required by cowabloga, mirage-fs-unix, mirage-http]
> >  - install xmlm.1.2.0 [required by cowabloga]
> >  - install uutf.0.9.3 [required by cowabloga]
> >  - install stringext.1.1.0 [required by cowabloga, mirage-http]
> >  - install ssl.0.4.7 [required by cowabloga, mirage-fs-unix, mirage-http]
> >  - install re.1.2.2 [required by cowabloga, mirage-http]
> >  - install ounit.2.0.0 [required by cowabloga, mirage-fs-unix, mirage-http]
> >  - install hex.0.1.0 [required by cowabloga]
> >  - install cmdliner.0.9.5 [required by cowabloga, crunch, mirage-http]
> >  - install base64.1.0.0 [required by cowabloga, mirage-http]
> [...]

Roberto Di Cosmo

Professeur               En delegation a l'INRIA
PPS                      E-mail: roberto at dicosmo.org
Universite Paris Diderot WWW  : http://www.dicosmo.org
Case 7014                Tel  : ++33-(0)1-57 27 92 20
5, Rue Thomas Mann
F-75205 Paris Cedex 13   Identica: http://identi.ca/rdicosmo
FRANCE.                  Twitter: http://twitter.com/rdicosmo
Attachments:
MIME accepted, Word deprecated
Office location:

Bureau 3020 (3rd floor)
Batiment Sophie Germain
Avenue de France
Metro Bibliotheque Francois Mitterrand, ligne 14/RER C