[opam-devel] OPAM Roadmap -- what next ?

Daniel Bünzli daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch
Sun Dec 21 16:58:51 GMT 2014

Le dimanche, 21 décembre 2014 à 17:20, Peter Zotov a écrit :

> How about having your shell change the switch based on e.g.
> `.opamswitch`
> file in the project root? I actually want this supported regardless, it
> would be very convenient.

Could be an idea, though it's one more of these implicit things that can bite you when trying to diagnose problems and I don't really look forward in having `opam update` doing different things according to which cwd I'm in — I wouldn't mind if the switch was really local to the cwd like a git repo is, i.e. the directory really represents the object you want to operate upon, but that's not the really the case here.

Besides switches are not a lightweight construct from a disk-size, conceptual and UI perspective and I'm not sure that it is the place to solve these problems which are (or will be) quite widespread.

That being said it would be interesting to have a clear definition of what a switch is (or will be) in opam, especially in the light of compilers as packages, per switch opam repositories, multi-switch packages, globally pinned packages, and what not.

Daniel