[opam-devel] How to manage a package manager (Was: Re: [opam] Build clarification (#1149))

Roberto Di Cosmo roberto at dicosmo.org
Sat Feb 1 10:48:10 GMT 2014

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 07:54:20PM +0000, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> On 31 Jan 2014, at 17:28, Roberto Di Cosmo <roberto at dicosmo.org> wrote:
>
> >     I am a bit unhappy with the current state of affairs, where new
> >     versions of opam appear with incompatible changes in the repository format,
> >     hence different versions of the repositories: people using old versions
> >     of opam get lost in a limbo-like repository with non updated packages
> >     until they realise they need to recompile a new version of opam
> >     to see the light again.
>
> To be clear, the reason for OPAM 1.0 to 1.1 being incompatible was "unplanned".  The original release was too strict with it's parsing, and OPAM 1.1 is now far more lax.

Sure Anil, nobody is implying here that this was deliberately planned :-)
Simply, this kind of things just happen, and especially so when a piece
of software is under heavy development.

That's why one needs a clear, and simple, mechanism to ensure a smooth
transition when incompatibilities arrive (and there will be more, and
unexpected ones, you can bet on it).

The one I outlined has no pretense of originality, it's just good practice.

--
Roberto