[opam-devel] Adding `--without-aspcud` to OPAM quick install

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Wed Feb 5 16:18:00 GMT 2014

On 5 Feb 2014, at 16:07, Amir Chaudhry <amirmc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> This is just an FYI and so it's documented somewhere.
>
> I'm on OSX Mountain Lion and just tried a `brew reinstall opam`.  It 'unexpectedly' failed for me as aspcud is a recommended dependency and one of its dependencies (gringo) requires Mavericks.  I say 'unexpected' as I'd assumed homebrew would detect the failure and proceed without that dependency. However, I just learned that's not how it works [1].
>
> To install opam via homebrew on Mountain Lion, the incantation is now `brew install opam --without-aspcud'.  To avoid other users coming across this, I've edited the opam wiki [2] to add this line and also the RWO install wiki [3].
>
> Note: I'm not intending to move to Mavericks in the immediate future so if there are Mountain Lion specific things people need/want to try, please let me know.

I'd like to fix Gringo on Mountain Lion.  The only slight hitch is that it may be somewhat destructive to your existing setup, since we'll need to go through several permutations of gcc/g++ versions to determine what works for the C++ dialect that Gringo needs.

Can you set up a VMWare Fusion copy of Mountain Lion on your laptop perhaps?