[opam-devel] experimental 4.02.0dev PPAs available

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Fri Feb 14 16:37:57 GMT 2014

On 23 Dec 2013, at 14:05, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil at recoil.org> wrote:

> I've created (extremely) experimental PPAs for the 4.02.0dev series, with the intention of using them to run bulk builds on OPAM to find users of camlp4 and labltk that need explicitly marked packages.
>
> I won't have time to integrate these into anything for a while, but if anyone else wants to help with the 4.02 triage of issues, let me know.
>
> https://launchpad.net/~avsm/+archive/ppa-opam-experimental

I've just refreshed these to the latest revision of OCaml in order to help test Pierre's base-camlp4 patch at;
https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository/pull/1641

The only hitch is that we still need a camlp4 package to build OPAM itself, which has now disappeared.  Louis, Thomas, what are the realistic prospects of ditching camlp4 as a necessary dependency for building OPAM-trunk?

See
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/166290459/buildlog_ubuntu-precise-i386.opam_1.1.99%2B1SNAPSHOT20140214-1ppa1~precise_FAILEDTOBUILD.txt.gz

for a build failure of OPAM-trunk on OCaml-trunk in avsm:ppa-experimental.  I'm CC Jeremie in case he's motivated to provide a replacement deb package for camlp4, but I'd much prefer if we could not depend on it and build camlp4 out of OPAM instead.  The reason for this is that if the camlp4 host tool is installed, it will be hard to spot missing dependencies as it will be picked up even when base-camlp4 is missing.