[opam-devel] Aspcud 1.9.0 is out, and ready for packaging

Roberto Di Cosmo roberto at dicosmo.org
Mon Mar 17 11:04:14 GMT 2014

Exactly!

After some initial issues uncovered by VB's arch-linux port, and promptly
fixed by Roland, I have been using it regularly over the past weeks, and I
am pretty happy with it, in particular the new package selectors.

Many old quirks are now gone (like the sed script for converting the old
preference language into the new one), and there are even Mac and Windows
precompiled binaries, so we could even have a Windows opam... (well, hmmm,
just let's say that aspcud will not be in the way of a Windows version of
opam...)

--
Roberto

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 10:48:59AM +0000, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> Wonderful!  To confirm I have it right: this version should be safe to
> upgrade to unconditionally now (after testing of course), and a future
> OPAM will take advantage of it once it is more widely deployed.
>
> -anil
>
> On 17 Mar 2014, at 09:47, Roberto Di Cosmo <roberto at dicosmo.org> wrote:
>
> > The maintainer of aspcud, Roland Kaminski, has released a new version of the
> > aspcud solver for CUDF package dependency problems, which is 1.9.0, available here
> >
> >   http://sourceforge.net/projects/potassco/files/aspcud
> >
> > It is highly recommended to package this new version for opam, as it incorporates
> > one significant improvement in the preferences language, that now allows to
> > use three new package selectors: installrequest, upgraderequest, and request.
> >
> > These can be used to elegantly guide the solver towards upgrade paths that have
> > very different behaviour for the packages mentioned on the command line
> > w.r.t. the others, like "upgrade all packages I mention, and leave alone the
> > others", but this will not be incorporated by default into opam until the
> > new version of aspcud is spread out widely.
> >
> > Besides, there is now direct support for Windows and MacOS, and the solver
> > uses clasp-3 and its uncore algorithm for improved optimization.
> >
> > In Debian, the package is already in experimental (will move into unstable
> > when the current transition is over)
> >
> > https://packages.debian.org/fr/source/experimental/aspcud
> >
> > Happy packaging
> >
> > --
> > Roberto

> > Professeur               En delegation a l'INRIA
> > PPS                      E-mail: roberto at dicosmo.org
> > Universite Paris Diderot WWW  : http://www.dicosmo.org
> > Case 7014                Tel  : ++33-(0)1-57 27 92 20
> > 5, Rue Thomas Mann
> > F-75205 Paris Cedex 13   Identica: http://identi.ca/rdicosmo
> > FRANCE.                  Twitter: http://twitter.com/rdicosmo
> > Attachments:
> > MIME accepted, Word deprecated
> >      http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
> > Office location:
> >
> > Bureau 3020 (3rd floor)
> > Batiment Sophie Germain
> > Avenue de France
> > Metro Bibliotheque Francois Mitterrand, ligne 14/RER C

Roberto Di Cosmo

Professeur               En delegation a l'INRIA