[opam-devel] [ocaml-infra] Dealing with incompatible releases in opam

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Thu Mar 27 14:53:21 GMT 2014

On 27 Mar 2014, at 14:41, Daniel Bünzli <daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch> wrote:

> Le jeudi, 27 mars 2014 à 15:23, Anil Madhavapeddy a écrit :
>
>> [ccing opam-devel -- wrong list?]
>
> I was not sure.

Dropping infrastructure to bcc

>> Yes, that's normally what I do. It's tediously manual at the moment, sadly...
>
> Yes. That said the problem is quite vicious in fact as it forces every dependent that has dependents in the repo to do a new release even if it doesn't break. For example I spotted that on that chain: react <- zed <- lambda-term
>
> zed compiles fines, but lambda-term doesn't. But lambda term doesn't explicitly depend on react. So zed will have to do a release. Or is lambda-term wrongly specified ?

Lambda-term uses React explicitly via Lwt:

>  BuildDepends: lwt (>= 2.4.0), lwt.unix, lwt.syntax, lwt.react, zed (>= 1.2)

So it should indeed have a direct react dependency in its OPAM file (to ensure that the optional Lwt dependency on react is picked up, thus ensuring Lwt_react is available).

I don't believe any new releases should be necessary for libraries that compile fine now, aside from updating constraints in their OPAM files.