[opam-devel] call for help: opam history

Amir Chaudhry amc79 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 2 11:40:48 BST 2014

Thanks for presenting the overview.  I actually don't really agree with point 1 (the ancestors), nor do I think it's helpful to point out specific differences between OPAM and GODI (at least in this document).

As a relative newcomer to OCaml, I would find it a little odd if much time was spent on other tools that existed before.  Of course, I would expect some brief reference to 'how things were' but this could be covered in a couple of sentences imho.  Since GODI is no longer maintained, any specific comparisons are completely unhelpful to me as it's not an option that I can choose to use — it's not like I'm reading this document in order to make a trade-off between the two.  As a result, it just creates a cognitive burden for me as a reader because in order to understand why OPAM does something, I must first understand how GODI did it.  I'd rather just be told why OPAM does it. Anything more than that feels like unhelpful detail and takes me away from learning about OPAM itself.

What I'd really want from a 'Background' section is a high-level summary of what good things OPAM wanted to keep from previous systems and what problems it wanted to fix (regardless of whatever the tools/systems themselves were).  In other words, the things that would later become OPAM's guiding principles. Paraphrasing from Fabrice's list below (and adding my own) it seem like these are:
- simple user interface
- straightforward (programmer-friendly?) workflow
- Bias towards, extensive automated QA on packages
- 'professional-grade' solvers
- easy to add/update/release new packages

My 2cents :)

Best wishes,
Amir