[opam-devel] Becoming an opam-repository merger

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Fri Oct 17 16:14:37 BST 2014

On 17 Oct 2014, at 00:06, Peter Zotov <whitequark at whitequark.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I see opam-repository currently has a shortage of attention.
> I would like to help out.

Thanks for offering!  I'd love to see more maintainers and mergers for
the repository.  Since there's a rather undocumented process for
determining what to merge, Thomas kicked off a web page to describe it
better:
 - https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository/wiki/PR-checks

It's a bit of a delicate time to be merging since we are in the
1.2 transition, so the delays have been partly due to that as well.
In general, more automation to remove all the manual stuff from that
checklist is the goal.  For instance, setting OPAMSTRICT and getting
the repository clear of warnings would really help avoid a manual check.

Another very valuable contribution would be to look through the
github.com/ocaml/opam-bulk-logs and continue to make the repository
build cleanly.  Again, there is some fledgling automation via regular
expressions (in David Sheets' ocamlot repo) that needs to be extracted
into a CLI to make it easier to triage.

I'm on the road in California right now, so will catch up properly
next week -- just wanted to note that I have no objection to more
mergers, and really appreciate you volunteering!