[opam-devel] ows reports

Thomas Gazagnaire thomas at gazagnaire.org
Sat Sep 27 18:43:56 BST 2014

Hi,

I had a quick look at "opam weather services" reports and I am a bit puzzled at how the statistic are computed. It seems that a package is considered as "broken" when one of its dependency cannot be installed. I'm not sure it makes sense: in the case the dependency is not available on a given platform / compiler version, then all the packages which depend upon it are not available as well as "availability" is a transitive relation in opam. These packages are not "broken".

Especially, on that page: http://ows.irill.org/table.html a lot of "bad" result are in fact simply a result the package not available for the given compiler version.

I'm sure they are packages which are actually broken (ie. there are no version of ocaml where they can be installed) and these should be much more useful to high-light in order than someone try to fix the descriptions (for instance me, when I am bored and have nothing else to do).

Best,
Thomas