[opam-devel] call for help: opam history

Pietro Abate Pietro.Abate at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Tue Sep 30 13:46:29 BST 2014

On 30/09/14 11:34, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> On 30 Sep 2014, at 10:47, Fabrice Le Fessant <Fabrice.Le_fessant at inria.fr> wrote:
> >
> > From my point of view, the new presentation starts too late: the first
> > ideas of OPAM were in DORM, and the DORM proposal was submitted to the
> > French state in 2010. The main idea of DORM was to develop a new
> > package manager for OCaml, using the DOSE technology from the Mancoosi
> > team. Then, Yaron contacted OCamlPro in mi-november 2011 to put more
> > manpower on the design of new package manager for OCaml.
>
> This sounds like ideal for the start of the history.  Why not edit it
> in yourself as Thomas suggested?  Did DORM get funded btw?  Linking to
> any other outputs from the project would also help round out the history.

Yes. The dorm was funded and completed 29 oct. 2013 : I was part
of the project working on something else not directly related to
opam. As Fabrice said, the first ideas about opam were outlined in a
few presentations during the DORM project and the involvement of the
mancoosi team (and the use of cudf/dose libraries) in what it would
have been named after "opam", dated back to 2010.