[opam-devel] OPAM 1.3 roadmap

Louis Gesbert louis.gesbert at ocamlpro.com
Tue Feb 24 01:06:33 GMT 2015

Indeed, the obvious case being the consequences of e.g. the variable `ocaml-native` on the presence and installation of .cmx etc. files. All depopts potentially have an effect on installed files, which may propagate along the reverse dependencies, so computing all possible combinations doesn't seem realistic -- that's mostly why I wrote "binary repo (_with some limitations_)".

But without being too ambitious, we could already:
* compute the diff of files as they are installed on the user system (assuming, for now, that files are only installed within the prefix...)
* use a similar trick to generate .install files and push towards a wider use within the repository. Given the right tools, packagers should be able to do this.

Each of these makes the `remove:` field unneeded (and it's the one most likely to contain `rm -rf`s that could go wild)