[opam-devel] CommonML: An opinionated build/package/develop workflow on top of CommonJS

Jordo jordojw at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 20:22:29 GMT 2015

I think you've made the right design decision by keeping package management separate from building. CommonJS does the same - it's merely a way to specify dependencies for what should be installed on disk. The npm command line tools merely solve and install those files into local directories. Coincidentally, nodeJS knows how to reason about the specific way npm installs files onto disk (it just looks in the node_modules directory to implement the namespacing - which is what CommonML does at build time).

To keep the separation clean, while also implementing proper namespacing, I would suggest forming a spec for what is required to be "easily namespaceable", and how the namespacing is to be interfaced with - something similar to what I've done in CommonML. You could imagine something like a subset of OPAM packages that are marked as such so that you can browse OPAM for "no hassle packages" that are guaranteed to Just Work.  If it catches on (and I believe it should), it could become the norm. Someone should write a scalable version of CommonML built on top of ocamlbuild or something else that does a good job of incremental builds while working with this No Hassle convention. A first version that just implements the namespacing would probably only take a day for an expert.

The specific way I've implemented namespacing is actually much simpler and more sustainable than the nodeJS module lookup convention. There are issues with how nodeJS does it (relative paths) and I didn't just want to blindly mimic their convention without questioning it. The namespacing I've proposed with CommonML applies our findings from large scale development at Facebook - an environment with massive automated refactors, thousands of daily commits, and hyper-granular sharing/modularization across multiple teams, and open source contributors. But it's absolutely not revolutionary - quite the opposite - it's the simplest possible convention imaginable.

Would anyone be interested in helping me write an ocamlbuild plugin that accomplished the same? I'd be willing to bet one already exists.

Jordan