[opam-devel] OPAM 1.1 backwards-compatibility

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Mon Jan 19 15:33:16 GMT 2015

On 19 Jan 2015, at 11:52, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas at gazagnaire.org> wrote:

>> * This raises the main question: how important is OPAM 1.1 support, how many users will encounter these issues, and when can we safely drop it ? I haven't heard many complaints, but the users hit by this aren't the most likely to give feedback (but maybe to turn around).
>
> I think the priority is to update https://github.com/ocaml/opam/wiki/Distributions
>
> If really all the distributions are still using 1.1.1 (and even 1.1.0) we cannot drop support for 1.1. If most of the distributions have updated to 1.2, would maybe make more sense to see what we can do to help upstream maintainer to update to 1.2 instead of bandaging 1.1 damages.

Prodding Ubuntu to upgrade to OPAM 1.2 would be extremely helpful.  Jon, Dave, would you have any contacts there that might be interested?   The Launchpad bug pickup seems to be a little hit and miss...

Also, I know it never seems like the right time to do this, but testing that OPAM 1.3dev does *not* have this problem is extremely important.  It would be nice if the trunk branch of OPAM had a deliberate syntax mismatch and was doing this redirection/rewrite dance as a matter of course.