[opam-devel] opam2{rpm,deb}

Sylvain Le Gall sylvain+ocaml at le-gall.net
Sat Mar 21 09:35:05 GMT 2015

Le sam. 21 mars 2015 à 00:22, Török Edwin <edwin+ml-ocaml at etorok.net> a
écrit :

> Hi,
>
> [On Anil's suggestion I'm moving the discussion to opam-devel.
> TL;DR: I am about to start writing opam2{rpm,deb} for my package and its
> dependencies. Does anyone else need such a tool or want to help?]
>
> I am about to package my own OCaml application for Fedora and Debian,
> which indirectly depends on 12 opam packages
> (3 of which already review requests on Fedora's bugzilla as they are
> shared dependencies with opam itself).
> I am looking for some automation in preparing spec and Debian templates,
> for checking their quality, and tracking the packages through their
> lifecycle,
> and to avoid making the same common mistakes for each package.
>
> Since such a tool (opam2rpm/opam2deb) doesn't exist now, I'll describe
> what my idea/requirements are.
> Please let me know what you think and if you have new / different
> requirements. Perhaps together we can design/create an opam2rpm tool that
> will be useful for more than just a oneshot conversion.
>
> I am quite new to packaging, have just recently went through packaging
> another (non-OCaml) application for Fedora so I've
> documented a package's (and package maintainer's) states here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Package_Lifecycle_notes.
> This is still rather incomplete and rough, take it with a grain of salt
> and consult the official docs when in doubt.
>
> What we have now:
> * opam metadata: depexts, conf-* opam packages, build rules, constraints,
> etc.
> * opam-lib
> * opam-repository, where some packages implicitly assume a "modern" Linux
> environment (has native compiler, dynlink, certain tools and C headers,
> etc.).
> For distribution packages all these dependencies will have to be made
> explicit
> * oasis2deb, generates decent starting point for a Debian package, but
> fails #3

Not sure to understand how oasis2deb fails #3 (test that build requirement
is complete).

It actually declares build dependencies for the source package, but it
doesn't embed the source of the dependencies (which is by the way forbidden
by Debian policy) but depends on what should be the package to do it. I.e.
it integrates into the target build system.

Example on my dlnasync generated package:

Source: dlnasync
Section: ocaml
Maintainer: Debian OCaml Maintainers <debian-ocaml-maint at lists.debian.org>
Uploaders:
  Sylvain Le Gall <sylvain at le-gall.net>
Build-Depends:
  ocaml-nox (>= 3.11.1-3~),
  ocaml-findlib,
  ocaml-base-nox,
  libsekred-ocaml-dev (>= 0.2.0),
  libounit-ocaml-dev (>= 2.0.0),
  libocamlnet-ocaml-dev (>= 3.5.1),
  libfileutils-ocaml-dev (>= 0.4.2),
  libbatteries-ocaml-dev,
  libav-tools,
  dh-ocaml (>= 0.9~),
  debhelper (>= 7.0.50~)
Standards-Version: 3.9.1
Homepage: http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/dlnasync
Vcs-Git: git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-ocaml-maint/packages/dlnasync.git
Vcs-Browser:
  http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-ocaml-maint/packages/dlnasync.git

You can see that all build dependencies are here.

I made this decision on purpose. If you want to push this kind of tools to
build packages to be distributed by the normal RPM/Deb scheme of your
distribution, they need to somehow comply with policy.

(I also created tools that DON'T do that but I don't publish them because
they are basic hacks)