[opam-devel] On the new mixed mode pins

Thomas Leonard talex5 at gmail.com
Wed May 20 13:40:17 BST 2015

On 20 May 2015 at 13:02, Daniel Bünzli <daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch> wrote:
> Sending Louis' answer to the list about the reinstall problem (I made an unwanted off-list glitch).
>
> Message transmis :
>> De : Louis Gesbert <louis.gesbert at ocamlpro.com>
>> À : Daniel Bünzli <daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch>
>> Date : mercredi, 20 mai 2015 13:53:58
>> Sujet : Re: [opam-devel] On the new mixed mode pins
>>
>> > - Daniel Bünzli, 20/05/2015 12:42 -
>> >
>> > I also think that the `pin list` dashboard should be more explicit, # at the end of the repo url are hard to parse. I would rather like to have that printed as
>> >
>> > $PKG git $BRANCH $REPO (instead of $PKG git $REPO#$BRANCH).
>> >
>> > Aaah I think I now understand, this idea of forgetting to commit ThomasL was mentioning. If you `reinstall` then you may effectively not *see* that you forgot to commit since this *forces* the installation regardless. Are we missing a command that says "reinstall if there is a new commit" or is this simply `update -u PIN` ?
>>
>> Yes, `opam upgrade` does it. Also, due to some magic, `opam upgrade PIN` is sufficient, as it will first force an update of PIN. It's convenient, and harmless enough since it would generally make little sense otherwise.

Ah, this is useful! I had indeed been using "reinstall" to test out
changes. I'll try using "upgrade" now, since that also covers the case
where you forgot to pin the directory at all (or unpinned it, or
pinned it on a different switch).

>> > I have opened an issue for this here https://github.com/ocaml/opam/issues/2156
>> >
>> > If you want me to make the issue more precise please tell. Also if you need help with the documentation bits update once the changes have been made (man page, general opam documentation) I can give a hand.
>>
>> Thanks! Your help in such matters is valuable.

Dr Thomas Leonard        http://roscidus.com/blog/
GPG: DA98 25AE CAD0 8975 7CDA  BD8E 0713 3F96 CA74 D8BA